Various problems arise from having a long term condition and we provide many different treatments and guidance to meet our young patients' needs. These treatments help to:
- Ease discomfort and stress caused by pain, stiffness and fatigue
- Reduce inflammation, if present
- Reduce the risks of long term harm to the body
- Improve strength, stamina and joint or organ function
- Promote or restore independence at home, at school, with friends and for the future
Types of Treatment
Rheumatological and painful conditions are rarely treated effectively by medicines alone. Other modes of treatment such as physiotherapy or occupational therapy are often important to a good outcome. For some patients these may be the main forms of treatment.
This is why all members of the OxPARC team are present in clinic and, depending on our assessments, our patients may see several team members during one clinic.
Support and Advice
We provide guidance and support for all treatments so that patients and parents:
- Understand the purpose of the treatments we recommend
- Are involved in deciding which treatments to use
- Help us to tailor treatments to suit the patient's needs and those of their family
Of course we understand that being given multiple pieces of advice can be overwhelming and even confusing. We are always happy to answer any of your questions - just contact us.